Step Into The New Year's With Purpleologist
Are you stepping into 2016 with resolutions for the year ahead? Each new year marks a chance for new beginnings for many. It is a time for motivation and a time to start fresh with new choices! 45% of Americans make resolutions, out of those, only about 8% are successful in achieving their resolution. Will you succeed with yours?
We can now look back at the past and move on to new beginnings! What are your New Year's resolutions? We want you to share them with us at Purpleologist!
We have compiled a list of 5 common resolutions to share with you, and added a few purple tidbits to go with some of them. Perhaps if you have not chosen one yet, you can pick from our list.
5 New Year's Resolutions
1. Lose Weight
Over half of adult Americans are obese or overweight, this is why losing weight is one of the most popular
resolutions. The easiest way to lose way is to eat healthy and exercise!
2. Eat Healthy
The easiest way to start eating healthy is to cut calories. This means cutting out fried foods, sugar, and fats.
Here are some of our favorite healthy purple recipes!
Eggplant Parmesan- this recipe is from EatingWell, for more tips and the full recipe click here.
- 2 eggplants (about 1 pound each), cut into 12 slices each
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup liquid egg whites or 6 large egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups fine dry breadcrumbs (see Tips), preferably whole-wheat
- 3 tablespoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes (see Tips)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Place 2 layers of paper towels on a baking sheet or cutting board. Place half the eggplant slices on the paper towels. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cover with another double layer of paper towels. Top with the remaining eggplant slices and sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cover with another double layer of paper towels. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Position oven racks in upper and lower positions and place a large baking sheet on each rack to heat; preheat to 425°F.
- Blot the eggplant slices with more paper towels. Put flour in one shallow dish, egg whites in another. Combine breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning in a third dish. Dip each slice of eggplant in the flour, shaking off excess. Dip in the egg, letting the excess drip off, then press into the breadcrumbs.
- Remove the heated baking sheets from the oven and add 2 tablespoons oil to each, tilting to coat. Place half the eggplant on each baking sheet, not letting the slices touch. Generously coat the tops with cooking spray. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the slices over and continue baking until golden brown, about 15 minutes more.
- Combine crushed tomatoes and the remaining 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning in a medium bowl.
- To assemble: Coat two 8-inch-square baking dishes with cooking spray. Spread 1/2 cup of the tomatoes in each prepared baking dish. Make a layer of 6 eggplant slices over the sauce. Spread with 1 cup of tomatoes and sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella. Top with the remaining 6 slices of eggplant, a generous 1 cup tomatoes, 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- To serve: Bake until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Serve garnished with basil, if desired. To freeze: Let unbaked casserole(s) cool to room temperature. Tightly wrap with heavy-duty foil (or freezer paper) and freeze. (To prevent foil from sticking to the cheese, coat with cooking spray first.)
Purple Smoothy- Start your day out smooth! This recipe is low calorie and a low fat way to start off your day. It is packed with vitamins, protein, and antioxidants. It will help pack a punch to your workout!
- 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
- one banana
- 5 oz of vanilla greek yogurt
- 1/2 to 1 cup of apple juice or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Combine above ingredients and blend.
3. Get Fit
Exercise is a benefit to our health! Exercise can reduce weight loss, reduce the risk of some cancers, reduce the rate heart disease and diabetes. It can also boost confidence, and is a mood enhancer. It is also beneficial to increasing life longevity!
Motivating to get into the gym after the new year can be difficult! It is intimidating to say the least. That is why we suggest getting in the mood with purple. Treat yourself to a fitness shopping spree. Go into the gym with confidents with your new gym apparel! Here are a few suggestions!
- Black yoga pants with a cute purple sporty top
- Purple running shoe
- Purple tennis skirt with a black yoga top
- Purple crossfit headband, with a matching purple warmup jacket
- Purple running shorts with a black tank, and a purple sports bra
4. Enjoy Life More
Life is hectic! Americans have a habit of working more hours and taking less vacation time! Not this year, this year it is time to get out and "enjoy life". It is time to get out and try something new, a new hobby or a new sport. Challenge yourself to something out of the ordinary. Join a new group, take outings you never thought you would do. Use those vacation hours! Leave the stress behind, take a deep breath, put your toes in the sand in Myrtle Beach and enjoy life... you only live once!
5. Get Organized
Every New Year, getting organized tops the list for people. Do you sometimes feel like you have your head in a hole and live in a revolving door where you don't have anytime to organize? If you were organized would you be less stressed? Organization can be a very reasonable goal. For suggestions click here!
As always, we invite you to join our online community on Facebook; we are many, fierce and purple-loving!